Course Title: Homiletics, The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching
Lecturer: Rev Dr Tony Lim
Second Semester, 2020
Malaysia Bible Seminary
The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching
It is MBS’ goal that all our students will be trained and equipped with the basic competency to teach and preach the Bible faithfully and accurately in a way that is life transforming. This course will lay down the basic foundations to help us preach biblically. This course examines biblical preaching. Students will be given a comprehensive survey on the nuts and bolts of the Art and Craft of preaching. Students will also learn how to analyse biblical passages and to prepare sermons which communicate biblical truth to the congregation effectively and relevantly. It is very much “a hands on” course where students get to listen and evaluate sermons during every lesson. Students will also be asked to preach a practice sermon which will be critiqued by their course mates.
- The High Call of Preaching
- The Spiritual Life of the Preacher
- Theological foundations for preaching
- Preaching as bridge building
- Preaching: Oral or visual? The use of technology
- Preparing sermons: The Big Idea
- Selecting the passage. Studying the passage. Discovering the exegetical idea
- Preparing the introduction and conclusion. Stories and Illustration
- Special topics : Weddings, Funerals, Baptisms, child dedication, home dedication, evangelistic meetings
- Demonstration of the Spirit and of Power
- Practice sermons
- To be able to distinguish teaching from preaching.
- To be able to define expository preaching and to list its benefits relative to other styles of preaching.
- To be able to exegete a given passage and pick out the points of interpretation.
- To be able to prepare a sermon based on a particular passage which is well illustrated and applied.
- To be able to list all the areas to which sermons should be applied and to give examples of such.