CHRISTIAN SPIRITUALITY – REV DR TONY LIM
The Christian Spirituality course venue was initially to be held at DUMC, with the first class starting from June 18th. Subsequently we have no access to DUMC building in June because the government bans mass gathering until the end of June.
In keeping with the Health DG’s exhortation to keep our social distance and to stay at home as much as possible, MBS is conducting the Christian Spirituality Course online.
We will be using Zoom and an invitation to join the class ( with password to ensure security) will be given to students prior to the class
You can download Zoom for free. Zoom is very intuitive and has unique classroom features.
- The lecturer can write on a whiteboard like in a regular class
- Share his PowerPoint
- Break up the class into small interactive groups
- You can see each member of your class
- You can interact freely with one another
Just like in a regular class
Come join us online – to help flatten the Covid 19 curve. To experience a new way of teaching from the comfort of your home.
The course description will be emailed to you by Anne
Time: 7-10 pm, every Thursday starting June 18th
Invitation to the online class will be sent a day before
Rev Dr Tony Lim
Description of the Course
Semester II, 2020
Malaysia Bible Seminary
Instructor: Rev Dr Tony Lim
Evangelical Christians in Malaysia have very little knowledge of Christian traditions and spiritualities outside their own traditions and denominations. This course seeks to help us rediscover that the Holy Spirit has been at work within and outside our respective church traditions.
In our classes together therefore, we will seek to have a pastoral, historical and theological reflection on our life of faith in Christ as lived out by the disciples of Christ through the ages.
We will be exploring (albeit selectively) some of the great movements of the Holy Spirit since Pentecost. We will be looking at:
- Early Christian Spirituality – Irenaeus, Origen, Antony
- Monastic and Medieval Spirituality (Anselm, Bernard of Clairvaux)
- The Reformers (Calvin and Luther)
- Teresa of Avila and St John of the Cross (The Spanish Mystics)
- The Puritans
- The Pietist Movement (Jacob Spener)
- Jean-Pierre De Caussade – The Sacrament of the Present Moment
- Amy Carmichael – The Spirituality of Missions
- Donald Gee – Pentecostal Spirituality
- The Evangelicals (Bebington’s Four Distinctives)
- Contemporary understanding of the Faith
At the end of the course, students will learn from the collective wisdom of the Church of Christ over two millennia and from godly church fathers and theologians how to “live” out our life of faith. This is in accordance with the Pauline emphasis that that the gospel has the power to transform men and women to become “mature in Christ” (Col 1.28)
We will also have a better understanding of the following:
- Life of prayer
- Spiritual disciplines
- Rule of life
- Various biblical and practical approaches to spiritual formation and discipleship
- Graduate (M.Min/MCS/M.Div) RM360.00
- Undergraduate RM225.00
- Audit RM200.00
- Registration Fees RM30.00